Friday, July 24, 2009

For all the Single Father's Out there

Fighting for custody of a child is a battle for most couples that get divorced. The question of responsibility is an important one. To whom will the child go, the mother or the father?

In most situations the child goes to the mother because most people – including judges – think moms love and care the best. They’re wrong. A lot of dads are good at this, too.

I should know… my dad fought a long custody battle with my mom and we’ve been together since I was two years old. We’ve had good and bad times, some arguments and confusion but we’ve never given up on each other.

Every year for my birthday, which is Christmas Eve, my Dad and I go to vacation in Disney World. We go to Epcot Center and visit the Japanese pavilion. Inside the pavilion there is a jewelry store by the name of Mikimoto, which is very well known in Japan. One year there was a pearl bracelet on display that I had my eye on. Ever since I was a little girl, I have always been fond of pearls.  When we went back to our hotel room, my dad furtively called the store and purchased the bracelet over the phone. The next day during dinner, he surprised me with the best birthday gift ever, as if the trip to Disney World wasn’t enough. I will remember that forever and I thank him for that all the time.

Many people still question, however, if a man much less a single father, can still raise a child just as well as a mother. My dad recalls from his own experience once when I was 3 years old at Sea World.  “All the moms were staring at me changing your diaper, they couldn’t believe that I was doing that. An older woman around 60 years old came up to me and asked where is her mother? I responded ‘I am her mother. We’re divorced and she is not around.’ She was in absolute shock.”

It is very aggravating when many people assume that fathers can’t raise a child, because they can. After the incident, my dad did his best to try to prove not only to himself but also for other single fathers that a man is just as capable of raising a child as a mother.

There are many fathers that never get the chance to have custody but to those who do, I hope they realize what a great privilege it is to raise a child.

For me I think anyone who has the patience and time is a perfect candidate to take care of his or her child. Whether it is someone with a disability, man or a woman, rich or poor, if you’ re not selfish and always remember to put the child before you, you can be the best parent on earth just as long as you’re there and have the patience, you’re okay.

Nevertheless I appreciate both my parents and the sacrifices that they have made for me. I still see my mother every now and then and we get along very well but we are not as close to each other like the relationship I have with my Dad. My Dad and I are pretty close, he has given me the best he ever had, he has enrolled me in private schools since I was attending pre-school and has shown me places that I am very fond of both local and distant, all within my sixteen years of life on earth.  We’ve become so close, that I feel like we’re best friends.

My Dad probably has the most patience that I’ve ever known and I know I can depend on him. He is always there when I need him whether it’s picking me up after practice or from a friend’s house. I know that he will be there and for that I respect him all the way.

So it goes to show that, yes, a man can raise a child. When I hear the question, “Is a man suitable to a raise a child?” My response is yes, I think so because I think anyone can be a great parent, you just need patience and dedication. 

No comments:

Post a Comment