Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Supermom

Everyone has a superhero in his or her life. Whether it is a celebrity, friend, local politician, teacher, or other figure, everyone has that one idol who seems to have this heavenly glow fixated around him or her. At least that is how I imagine the Wonder Woman of my life. I call her “Momma”. Donna D. Hisel never was, nor will she ever be, just my mom. She will always be my hero.

She is the most loving, caring, and selfless woman in the world - in my world anyway. She flies around my universe with an M boldly embroidered on her chest, making sure that everything in my life and the life of my 13 year-old sister, Brenda, is either good, or at least going through something that will ultimately shape them into such a condition. She holds us up with her super strength when we feel the weight of our chaotic teenage lives upon our frail shoulders. She belittles the applause of crowds of parents at assemblies, awards ceremonies, and graduations as we step onto the stage and receive some paper with proud smiles on display. Her encouraging cheers and bright gleaming smiles are always there at just the right moment as we sweat through soccer games and track meets trying to ignore the sharp pain that refuses to stop biting our shins. She has the ability to be in multiple places at once. Whenever I need her she pops up like the little angel on the shoulder of TV characters who find themselves stuck in a difficult situation not knowing what to do next.

Donna D. Hisel is my Wonder Woman.



-Phylicia Hisel

No comments:

Post a Comment