Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My Bedroom

The bright blue paint of my room may contrast with the bland cream-colored walls of the rest of my house, but it fits me perfectly. My wall is plastered with miscellaneous pieces that don’t seem to match but somehow do. Collages, posters, maps, pictures, letters, and more cover the blue paint to the point you can barely see it. The main piece is a collage the size of a small couch that lies over my bed. The collage is a collection of clippings from magazines that are taped over each other.  Pictures of celebrities, the latest fashion trend, and quotes overlap each other and line my wall. The collage is always a work in progress and will never be complete. I will always keep adding on.

            To the right of the collage is an assortment of cards. Birthday cards, pink cards, congratulatory cards, rainbow cards, singing cards, poster cards, and more envelope my space. I have accumulated many cards over the years and have always held onto them. I never had a place to showcase all of them so I decided the wall would be a good location. Every year new cards are added with the rest of them. The bright colors of the cards and the magazine clippings are analogous. Below these two is a line of words on a thin blue paper strip. These words are just words that make me smile such as love, picnics, and music. The words can always cheer me up and help me feel better on a bad day.

            However, the first thing you see when you enter my room is not either of them. You will see giant letters spelling out my name in different fonts and colors. Photos of myself with friends and family can be found below the letters. The letters and photos both lie to the right of a window that occupies the center of my back wall.

            A small bedside table rests in a crevice to the left of the window. Atop the table are various souvenirs collected from vacations throughout my life. A small sombrero from Cancun rests on the front left edge of the table while a framed photo of my school volleyball team photo takes up most of the space. A snow globe from Galveston, a NY photo frame, and a doll from China are examples of other objects that can be found on top of this table. 

By Jennifer Sun

No comments:

Post a Comment